Tuesday, December 30, 2008

New Year Resolutions - No, Not The Usuals

How many of us have made the usual resolutions - you know: lose weight, save more money, spend less money, get in shape, be kinder to everyone, and it's only the tough who survive. Been there, done that. So I don't make the usual resolutions, mine are less self-improvement oriented and more self-indulgent, especially when it comes to reading as this is what relaxes me after a stressful day; plus if I don't follow through I won't flog myself for the remaining 11 months of the year.

So, as I enable myself in the coming year (uh, meaning reading a good book rather than dealing with the litter box) here's what I want to do:

First of all, try to buy fewer books (she says after sending in a BOGO of 8 HCs to the Rhapsody Book Club).

Read as many books as possible - mainly because I have too many to begin with, my eyes aren't what they used to be, and I'm no longer 30-something. The equation is definitely off kilter, and who would I leave my books to anyway?

Read ONE book at time, no more multiple books going at one time; and as few library check-outs as possible.

Read more categories than usual; they're still a favorite sub-genre but lately they seem to be kicked down to third or fourth place.

Read more new-to-me authors. Thanks to the members of the various Yahoo groups I own or belong to, I discovered a number of NTM writers in 2008. Thanks, ladies!!

Cut back on the contemporaries - I'm ignoring the hist/roms for some reason and reading more contemps and (this is unbelievable) some women's fiction (ack, never thought THAT would happen).

And probably most important of all: get back to the trad Regencies. These have been my reading treasures for over 40 years and I've drifted away in the last few years. I'd like to think the listers on my Regency group will be proud.

So, as '09 looms ahead, I refuse to think of it as just another year to screw up, but as the year I lose weight, save more money, smile more at work, turn 65, indulge in my other wicked habit (good coffee) and read more than I did in '08.

Happy New Year, dear readers. And Happy Reading to one and all.

2 comments:

Kara said...

Sounds like great reading resolutions - I've been trying to come up with some myself - I really want to concentrate on my reading next year and all the challenges that I've signed up for.

Danielle said...

Those are some really good resolutions. I could stand to do a few of those, no doubt.